3:45 PM

EXCLUSIVE FSM ARTIST SPOTLIGHT: KAYO BRACEY

posted under by The MECCA of Rhymes | Edit This


At what point did you decide you wanted to be an artist?

I started making music in 5th grade, but didn't really get serious about it until my junior year in high school. I was in a group called "Official Combination" that dropped a mixtape in the Piedmont Triad Area.

How did you come up with your stage name?

My homeboy Stunna came up with the nickname "k-o" back in 9th grade. LOL honestly don't even know why he started calling me that, but it was catchy. All I did was change the spelling and added my last name to it, to come up with "Kayo Bracey".

Do you have any musical influences?

I'm a big Ludacris fan. But most def. love TI, Busta Rhymes, and Jeezy. I use to bump all of their music before my college football games (at Morgan State University). Kinda took a little of my style from each one of them and molded it to come up with my own unique sound.

Do you have any upcoming projects we should look out for?

Always got new music for the people. Just dropped the "Target Practice Vol. 1" mixtape which is being flooded on the streets in the triad area. Volume Two is set to be released late February. Also sophomore album "Backstage Action" is set to drop summer of 2010. You should def. still be bumping that "Pick it Up" album from earlier in the year though. Check it out on iTunes. Plus we got the "Rida Girl" video (which is currently playing on the CW Network, Video Mix Channels, and receiving national college radio play), as well as my newest single "My Fresh Cool" which is produced by super producer "Kidd" Sparrow.

Where do you see your music career in the next five years?

With the right situation...BIG....REAL BIG....I'm talking Lil' Boosie, Ludacris, Plies big. While doing a show with Wale, he told me that the most important thing to do in this industry is "to grind and to be patient." I'm working on the being patient part lol. But real talk, I see the gleam in people's eyes when they hear my music, and see me perform. I can't wait until I am a household name. It's coming! I feel it!

Where can fans purchase your mixtape/album?

Itunes, and too many other websites the mention them all. Just Google "kayo pick it up" and take your pick. LOL. But of course I'm on every website that we all are: myspace.com/kayobracey, facebook.com/kayo.bracey, twitter.com/kayobracey, etc. Hit me up!

If you could work with any major producer for your single, who would it be and why?

I would like to work with Shawty Redd, 9th Wonder and Timbaland. But most of all Swizz Beatz. Everything he makes has the potential to be a number one record.

How will this FSM Artist and Producer Showcase be beneficial to you as an artist?

This showcase will give me a chance to separate myself from the pack. This showcase should give me the opportunity to prove that I can put my city on my back and carry them to the top. It will give me the opportunity to network with other rappers as well as producers which should also help me with my upcoming projects. Most of all, this will give me the chance to perform in front of major record label executives once again, and get some real feedback. I thank God for the chance to shine.

Now that we’ve brought a few labels to our area to show them our talent. What do you think we need to continue to do, in order to help take our local talent to the next level?

Support us. We all need to stick together to defeat the politics of radio and the music world period. There is legitimate local talent that is begging for the opportunity to shine. Some of these artists have the potential to be as big as a Jay-Z, Nas or Lil' Wayne. It's just sad that a lot of them go unnoticed from the lack of support and backing.

Any shoutouts?

Shout out to my squad, Gate City Kings, Ma Dukes, the big man upstairs and last but not least, big shoutout to FSM for the chance of a lifetime. 100

0 comments

Make A Comment
top